Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Glimpse into a Chubby Transplant's Past

This morning, my radio show had a really interesting topic.  Well, at least it was interesting to me.  They said that the students that are going off to college this fall as Freshman were born in 1993.  Ok, first may I say, GROSS.  But their point was that this was the same year that Michael Jordan retired from basketball.  These teenagers have never watched a game where Michael Jordan played.  Weird.

Here is a list of some of the topics discussed on the '93 episode of VH1s I Love the '90s (from Wikipedia) along with my personal opinion--I mean hey, it is my blog:

  • Jurassic Park  I went through a pretty serious Jurassic Park phase. The triceratops was my favorite dinosaur, and as a spoiled only child, I almost immediately had a ton of triceratops crap.
  • Where's Waldo? When I just looked this up, it was news to me that Where's Waldo? started in 1993. As far as I was concerned until about 5 minutes ago, a world didn't exist without Where's Waldo? I spent a LOT of time looking for that goofy striped-shirt geek. And honestly, even at this age, if I see a book at a doctor's office, I can't resist.
  • Martin I LOVED this show. Like a LOT. Whenever I see Tisha Campbell (had to look up her name as I write this), I always immediately think, 'Hey, that's Martin's wife."
  • Free Willy Ummm, can you say obsessed? I still now every word to this song.
  • John and Lorena Bobbitt I probably shouldn't know this since I was only 10. But my mother's a cop and I'm an old soul. So basically, I know a lot about major crime stories from the '90s. Still not sure I can blame Lorena...
  • Blind Melon's "No Rain" I don't know if this is a Houston thing but I still hear this song on the radio. Is it really 18 years old? And by the way, that bumble bee girl is a grown up now too.
  • The Waco Siege Again, I know too much about news stories when I was young. But I've learned more as an adult. I took a class in college on cults and we covered it there. And of course, I've seen my share of true crime shows based on it.
  • Mighty Morphin Power Rangers I remember thinking I was soooo old for them. That makes me laugh.
  • Crystal Pepsi (originally introduced in 1992) Listen, when it comes to Coke or Pepsi, I'm a Pepsi fan all the way. It's like that Dos Equis commercial, I don't always drink soda, but when I do, I drink Pepsi. So I tried Clear Pepsi when it came out. I was sick (unrelated) but always associated the burning sensation down my throat with the soda rather than my illness. I never bought it again. And I guess neither did a lot of other people. 
 My awesome '93 Collage that I made for the post. I'm so talented.

So there's a glimpse into my world in 1993. For the record, my favorite song of '93.

So, babies born that year are now headed to college.  Ten years ago this month, most of my friends and I were going off to college. I cannot believe it's been 10 years. I remember that summer like it was yesterday.  Some of the most fun I've ever had happened that summer.  And of course, it was the summer I fell in love with the man I would eventually marry.

 File photo. Class of 2001.
That's me in the 2nd row with the shades on.
You know, the one without the face blacked out.

How the hell did time go so fast?

Here's the Wikipedia list from VH1s I Love the New Millennium (I must have been off of VH1 by the time this was out because I didn't know it existed) for 2001 plus my 2 cents:

  • Zoolander Definitely still one of my favorite movies. My husband and I quote it often. "Is this a center for ants? It's needs to be at least 3x bigger than this!"
  • Live with Regis and Kelly  I heart Kelly. Never really a fan of Kathy Lee. Maybe it's a generational thing.
  • Low-rise jeans The worst thing that could ever happen to a girl with a curvy body. These damn things didn't help my image issues at all.
  • Fear Factor Gross. Never a fan of this show.
  • Pearl Harbor Part of that awesome summer included this movie. I tried to watch it the other night and my husband complained the whole time. Still don't know if it holds up 10 years later. He made me change the channel.
  • iPods Yeah, I had one of the originals--purchased in 2002 though. It was part of the battery class-action lawsuit.
  • The Weakest Link Wasn't a big fan of the show but enjoy some good trivia and watched my fair share of episodes.
  • Moulin Rouge! Nope. Didn't like. Had a lot going for it--same director as one of my absolute favorite movies, Romeo + Juliet, 80s music. But just wasn't a fan. My husband, however, definitely a fan. Good thing this is anonymous. He would not approve that I just wrote that.
  • Mýa, Pink, Lil' Kim, & Christina Aguilera's "Lady Marmalade" BEST THING THAT CAME FROM THAT MOVIE! LOVE!
  • Winona Ryder shoplifts Definitely remember this. Never really had an opinion. As a strict rule follower, the only thing I ever shoplifted was a plastic ring that was part of a plastic horse doll toy. I was 5 and remember it, so what does that tell you about how I felt about it?
  • Shaggy & RikRok's "It Wasn't Me" Can picture myself driving to the party store that I was working at at the time in the Mustang and this playing. It's funny how music can take you back like that, right?
  • America comes together following 9/11 This was a very difficult time for me. I will probably do a post on this around the anniversary.
FUN FACT: While looking up 2001, I found that Wikipedia was created that year. How appropriate.

Also, here's my favorite #1 single of 2001. And in case your judging, yes, that made me laugh too.

Well, feel free to share any memories from those two years.  I had fun with this post. I may just do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment