Sunday, September 18, 2011

My Magic Words

One of my close friends here has a no-fail way to get her to go out.  All you have to do is call her, tell her there will be alcohol, and that you'll come pick her up.  She can rarely resist.

Yesterday, we learned my magic words. Mutton Bustin'--AKA the greatest rodeo event EVER.

My friend called me in the middle of the afternoon and asked if I wanted to go to the Pasadena Rodeo.  And then she said my magic words.  See, her friends had small children and they would be entering in Mutton Bustin'. Even though I was laying on the couch, still groggy from my nap that I had just taken, I immediately responded 'yes'.

This Jersey Girl, who grew up going down the shore, taking the train into the city, and heading to diners in the middle of the night, LOVES the rodeo.  Since I've lived in Texas, I haven't missed the Houston Rodeo and each year I learn about these local ones and we head to those too.

 File photo. Houston Rode 2010. That's me ON the bull.

Three main components made me fall in love:
  1. Mutton Bustin' (already mentioned)
  2. Calf Scramble
  3. Festival food
And, yes, in that order. 

Photos from Galveston County Rodeo 2010
 File photo.  Random adorable kid at the rodeo. 
I CANNOT wait to dress up my kids as cowboys/cowgirls.

 File photo. I love this pic because I feel like the bull's facial expression says it all.

File photo. Not the best shot but I still like it.
The many cowboy hats in the foreground,
and of course, the bull riding really makes it scream TEXAS!

No comments:

Post a Comment