Wednesday, January 25, 2012

How I Got Tickets to Super Bowl XLVI

I'm very excited today!  Well, I should say, I'M VERY EXCITED TODAY!  Today, I bought tickets to see my NY Giants play in a rematch of Super Bowl XLII against the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLVI.  My road to the Super Bowl starts on Sunday, after that nail biting finish of the NFC Championship.

Beginning Sunday night, I was trying to convince Hubby to go to the Super Bowl.  I mean, we only live once.  We don't have kids yet but plan to soon, so we really don't have a lot of time left where we can splurge on ourselves.  I thought about it all day Monday and came up with a few plans.  Tickets were "only" $2500 a piece.  We could essentially go on this trip by just giving up our annual vacation (and a little more).  It was not unreasonable to think we could pull this off.

Hubby came home and I started describing my plan.  Any other husband in this country I'm sure would have jumped at his wife wanting to and finding a way to go to the Super Bowl.  But my husband, nope.   My husband told me to put together a spreadsheet of costs and what we would be "willing to give up this year."  I obliged.  Pretty quickly into this sacrifice list, the trip was paid for.  But that of course wasn't good enough for him. The conversation escalated and we nearly got into a fight.

The next morning I was fuming.  I saw on FB that Ellen was running a contest to win tickets to the Super Bowl.  So in 1500 characters or less, I submitted this letter:


I’m a huge NYG fan. I grew up in NJ and have amazing memories of watching games with my dad. I now live in TX. I miss being surrounded by NYG fans and subscribe to DirecTV so I never miss a game. Am I the biggest fan? I don't know, but I can tell you, I've never personally met anyone bigger.

Reasons I should win: 

1. My fan-ness described above. 

2. I grew up comfortably in middle class and now live comfortably in middle class. What this means is I rarely get to win anything. As a kid, I was jealous of camps celebrities started I couldn't be a part of because I was "privileged." I was sick as a kid (let me know if stories about suffering from Asthma could help me at all) but never sick enough that any celebrities would come visit me in the hospital. These tix would be my celebrity hospital visit. 

3. I would win a fight with my husband. I'm the only wife in this country that turned to her husband at the end of Sunday's game & said, "Let's go to the Super Bowl" & he replied, "Can you put together a spreadsheet on costs & reasons why?” When I did, he shot me down. Typical for us, I have to drag him to things kicking & screaming. When all is said & done, he turns to me & admits I was right. The Super Bowl experience would be a trip of a lifetime & I want to prove him wrong. Please help me prove him wrong.

PS Enjoy the attached picture of my rescue dogs in their game day gear.

PPS I struggle with my weight a lot. Let me know if that helps.

I haven't heard back yet.  

Later that morning, I called a couple of friends and yelled about how my Super Bowl dreams were crushed by my lame husband.

THEN

My dad called me in shock.

"I won the lottery... I won the lottery. We're going to the Super Bowl."

After talking to Daddy a few minutes, we confirmed that he did indeed win.  In fact, he won so much that he was taking himself, Hubby, and me to the Super Bowl AND buying himself a new car.

I cried.

And there you have it.  Today I bought tickets to go see the NY Giants in the Super Bowl.

I'm still waiting to wake up because clearly this is a dream.

1 comment:

  1. wow wow wow!!! How incredibly awesome!!! Have a blast! Go G-men!!! Let us know how it goes and take pics!!!

    ReplyDelete